Mexican Auto Insurance in Houston, TX
Traveling to Mexico can make for an exciting and enjoyable adventure. The warm climate, pristine beaches and delicious cuisine of Mexico can fill a trip south of the border with many highlights and memories. However, as is the case in the United States, you and your traveling companions must adhere to various laws and regulations during your travels, including those related to Mexican auto insurance.
People often ask, “Do you need car insurance to travel to Mexico?” If you’re driving there, the answer is yes. Auto insurance is legally required if you plan to drive while in Mexico, except in specific circumstances. In addition, your U.S. auto insurance policy may be invalid once you’ve crossed into Mexico, meaning you will lack financial protection from accidents and other vehicle-related incidents unless you also acquire and maintain appropriate Mexican auto coverage.
How to Insure a Car in Mexico
When exploring your Mexican auto insurance options, you should first ensure that you meet any legal requirements, such as bodily injury and property damage liability coverages. In addition, you may choose to pay for additional features on your policy, many of which may resemble domestic coverage, such as the following:
- Physical damage coverage can provide financial aid if your car is stolen or damaged by collisions, vandalism, fires and some weather perils.
- Medical payments coverage may help pay for health care costs if you or your passengers are injured in an accident.
- Legal assistance coverage may render financial assistance for legal representation and court costs following an accident while traveling.
- Roadside assistance coverage may help you recoup costs for towing or other services if your vehicle breaks down while in Mexico.
- Medical evacuation coverage may help pay for expenses related to emergency transportation to health care facilities following an accident.
To purchase car insurance to travel to Mexico, you are generally required to provide the following information to insurance companies:
- Trip details (e.g., where and when you plan to travel)
- Your U.S. auto insurance policy number
- Driver’s license information
In addition, if you plan to drive your personal vehicle across the border, you should be prepared to provide the following:
- Vehicle details (e.g., make, model and year)
- Vehicle identification number
- License plate number
How Much Does Car Insurance in Mexico Cost?
Like auto insurance in the United States, the cost of adequate coverage while driving in Mexico may vary significantly depending on your unique circumstances. Insurance companies must consider various factors, such as the following:
- When and where you plan to travel
- Type of vehicle being insured
- Total duration of your trip
- Policy details (e.g., coverages purchased, limits and deductibles)
We’re Here to Help
If you need to buy Mexican car insurance, look for further than Amco Auto Insurance. We have over 30 years of experience serving the coverage needs of travelers, businesses and families. We will work with you to analyze your circumstances, explore available options and help you buy Mexican auto coverage. Contact us today to get started.